Monday, January 17, 2011

Beans and Biscuits

One success and one that I need to try again.

I'm working my way through Alton Brown's first cookbook. Tonight I decided to try 2 recipes from the book - Boston Baked Beans and Southern Biscuits.

Did I say that I tried these tonight? Actually the beans have been baking since noon. From scratch baked beans are a commitment, not just a recipe. They went in the oven at noon and here at 7pm I'm still trying to get them done. Not all of this is bad as I like to choose an all day oven food on a cold day like this one and these beans seem to be in that category along with roasting a turkey or a slow-cooked roast. We won't be choosing this recipe in July.

I know I made 2 mistakes. First, I skipped a step in the initial preparation. I did sweat the bacon and onions and then added the remaining ingredients including the dry bean. At this point, the mixture was to be brought to a boil on top of the stove; a step I missed. And before that I used hard water from my now working tap when I should have used soft for the beans. I may never get these done.

On a happy note, the flavor was excellent. Contributing to the flavor was several wonderful ingredients. Using Applewood Smoked bacon, Hormel of course, gave excellent flavor and so was a good choice. The recipe called for other typical ingredients like onions, tomato paste, and molasses. An unusual ingredient was 2 chopped jalapeno peppers. Did New Enlganders historically use those in their baked beans? I think not. But I did, only compromising by using 1 instead of 2. These beans are very good even if they are hard - this time anyway. On another cold day we'll try these again.


The biscuits were excellent. Several notes here:

This is one of the first times I used a scale to weigh some of the ingredients rather than use a volume measure. The results were excellent as the dough was just right, not too dry and not too sticky.

I used butter and butter-flavor shortening. The flavor was excellent.

The recipe calls for buttermilk rather than plain milk. Again, this contributed to excellent flavor and a very tender, light biscuit.

The recipe was supposed to make 12 using a 3-inch biscuit cutter. I got 7 and a little scrap. Not sure what happened here. Maybe I could have or should have cut them a bit thinner but they baked well at this thickness.

Finally, a meal of biscuits and beans on this cold, snowy night. My dining partner thought we needed a big piece of something meat-like to go with the meal but has not complained about the missing something either during or after.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, This is great fun, your children should really appreciate you!

    Really Easy Apple Dumplings

    2 large Granny Smith apples,peeled and sectioned into 8ths
    2 cans crescent rolls
    1 1/2 sticks butter
    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
    1 can Mountain Dew (no joke)

    Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9X13 pan with release spray. Separate rolls and wrap an apple slice in each roll. Place into prepared pan.
    Melt butter and sugar and stir. Add spice. Pour over dumplings. Pour Mt. Dew over dumplings and bake ~ 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete